Super Rugby Injury Update 5th March
This weekly blog will shed some light on all you need to know about injuries both new and old. Having a strong handle on who picked up an injury on the weekend, and who is due back soon can give you a big advantage over other Fantasy Drafters. We should know because we all feel slightly disgusting providing other draft members with this previously sacred information that should really be kept to oneself. Who knows, maybe one of us lied about a player’s likely return date below?
Returned from Injury into Round 2:
Nehe Milner-Skudder (Hurricanes): Nehe picked up exactly where he left off his Super Rugby Campaign, scoring three tries, setting up a few and almost shattering a few ankles with his fast feet. He will be one to watch all season.
Nicolas Sanchez (Jaguares): returned from Injury well this week. He is an integral part of the Jaguares team. He made some great try savers and kicked well against the stormers on the weekend.
Patrick Tuipulotu (Blues): A solid start off the bench for Tuipulotu, he was a big part of the 14 man turn around against the Chiefs on the weekend. Articles over the last week have also said he looks extremely fit after training on his own all preseason.
- James Hanson (Rebels)
- Jerome Kaino (Blues)
- Richard Buckmann (Highlanders)
- Marika Koroibete (Rebels)
- Tim Nanai-Williams (Chiefs)
- Matt Todd (Crusaders)
- F Tanaka (SUN)
- H Cripps (SUN)
Embed from Getty Images
New Injuries Round 2:
- Adam Coleman (Force) – Calf tear, no return date set yet
- Lopeti Timani (Force) – Knee knock, was bad enough to come off but it would be unlikely he misses next week.
- Jono Lance (Force) – Rib knock, likely to play next week
- Cheslin Kolbe (Stormers) – Ankle – out for 8 weeks (expected back round 10)
- Nick Phipps (Waratahs) – Ankle – Likely return rd 3-4
- Will Skelton (Waratahs) – Hamstring – Likely return rd 3-4
- Jimmy Lentjes (Highlanders) pictured – Dislocated elbow – Gone for a minimum of 6 weeks, possibly the season depending on surgeon review.
- David Havili (Crusaders) – Heavy knock contesting a high ball – pending any report
- Liam Squire (Highlanders) – Medial knee ligament (we think – there is no medical report out yet) – These generally do well with tape the severity is anyone’s guess, he could be back next week, could be out for 4-6 weeks.
- Steven Luatua (Blues) – Red carded for a late high shot on Tim Nanai-Williams, Luatua has been given a 4 match suspension early!
Ongoing Injury List:
- Sonny Bill Williams (Blues) – Ruptured Achilles. Looking to return in round 6.
- James Parsons (Blues) – Concussion. Set to return mid March (round 3 or 4).
- Vaea Fifita (Hurricanes) – Ligament Damage lower leg. Set to return round 4 or 5.
- Blade Thomson (Hurricanes) – Dislocated shoulder round 1. Will require surgery.
- Reggie Goodes (Hurricanes) – Concussion – out for unknown time.
- Cory Jane (Hurricanes) – Neck – expected back rd 3-5
- Luke Whitelock (Highlanders) – Shoulder injury. Should return round 3 or 4.
- Ash Dixon (Highlanders) – Back Injury. Unclear when he will return.
- Ben Smith (Highlanders) – Concussion. Should return round 4 after 2 weeks off, but after 4 concussions in 5 years they may be more cautious. Word is that he hasn’t been able to return to training yet.
- Sam Cane (Chiefs) – Ankle Niggle. Should return round 3.
- Nathan Harris (Chiefs) – Return in April from ACL reconstruction
- Charlie Ngatai (Chiefs) – suffering from ongoing concussion symptoms.
- Richie Mo’unga (Crusaders) – Broken Hand round 1. Out for at least 8 weeks.
- Kieran Read (Crusaders) – Wrist op, back early April
- Bernard Foley (Waratahs) – Concussion. Should return round 3.
- Jed Holloway (Waratahs) – Didn’t tour to South Africa. Should return round 4.
- Sean McMahon (Rebels) – Returning from an ankle operation. Should return round 4.
- Sefa Naivalu (Rebels) – Knee infection. Will return round 4 after the bye.
- Toby Smith (Rebels) – Hamstring Rd 12-13.
- Scott Sio (Brumbies) – Hamstring Injury. Should return round 3 or 4.
- Jarrad Butler (Brumbies) – Leg injury, in the dev side rd 1, expected back Rd 3
- Ben McCalman (Force) – Dislocated Thumb. Should return round 3.
- Matt Hodgson (Force) – Due back from his hamstring tear in rd 3.
South African Teams:
- Adriaan Strauss (Bulls) – Few niggles. Should return round 4 after the bye.
- Jannes Kirsten (Bulls) – set to return round 4 after the bye.
- Jan Serfontein (Bulls) – Set to return round 4 after the bye.
- Lodewyk De Ager (Bulls) – Concussion. Set to return round 4 after the bye.
- Arno Botha (Bulls) – Should return round 4 after the bye.
- Keegan Daniel (Sharks) – Fractured Hand. Out for at least 12 weeks.
- Juan De Jongh (Stormers) – MCL back rd 8-10
- Damian De Allende (Stormers) – Injured round 1, out for 3 months (syndesmosis)
- Francois Venter (Cheetahs) – Hamstring Niggle. Should return round 3.
- Ruan Combrinck (Lions) – Shoulder operation. Looking to return round 6-8
Jaguares and Sunwolves:
- Ramiro Herrera (Jaguares) – Calf Tear preseason. Hoping for a return in round 3 or 4.
- Thomas Lavanini (Jaguares) – ACL reconstruction – expected back 9 months post op (June), although their medical team is targeting March (Don’t believe them!)
- Manuel Leguizamón (Jaguares) – Knee Ligament Damage. Return in round 4 or 5.
- Javier Ortega Desio (Jaguares) – Torn sartorius muscle. Return in round 3 or 4.
- Martín Hernández (Jaguares) – Fractured Face preseason. Return round 5 or 6.
- Manuel Montero (Jaguares) – suffered a blow to the eye which has left him with a corneal ulcer of ‘moderate severity.’ ETA – A couple of weeks, rd 4/5
- Emiliano Bofelli (Jaguares) – playerd for an Argentinian XV on the weekend, so should return soon
- Harumichi Tatekawa (Sunwolves) – Knock on the knee. Expected return round 3 or 4.
Out for the Season:
- Martin Landajo (Jaguares) – Broken Fibula
- Tomas Cubelli (Brumbies) – ACL
- Brad Weber (Chiefs) – Broken Leg out for 6 months
- Mitchell Graham (Chiefs) – Broken Leg
- Leolin Zas (Stormers) – Broken Leg
- Lausii Tauilali (Brumbies) – ACL
- Christian Lealifano (Brumbies) – Leukemia
- Howard Minsi (Lions) – ACL
- Sergeal Petersen (Cheetahs) – ACL
- James Broadhurst (Hurricanes) – Concussion ongoing
One thought on “The Casualty Ward”